What you can expect when you visit a genetic specialist
Whether you see a medical specialist or visit a specialist clinic, the doctors and genetic counsellors will:
- explain their role in your medical care
- explain the genetic information that has been found
- discuss your family health history
- provide emotional support
- help you access other services if needed
- support you to make decisions
- if you choose, you can have genetic testing to confirm the genetic variant (or change) found by the research study
Genetic testing is a blood test that looks for genetic changes related to disease. Genetic testing can confirm what the research study has found. The clinic should be able to let you know how long it will take to get your results back. It may take 4 weeks, or it could be as long as 12 weeks or more.
The decision of whether or not to have any further genetic testing is a personal one. There are both benefits and downsides to be considered. You will be given all the information and time you need to make this decision at the clinic. Even after an appointment, you may choose not to have genetic testing or delay having genetic testing.